Masculinity, self and survival - A collaborative photographic portraiture workshop
The Big Anxiety Festival of Arts + Science + people
An initiative of the University of New South Wales, Sydney
In this workshop, participants will create photographic portraits through a co-creation process led by artist Paul McDonald.
Paul will firstly describe how he explores personal issues as an artist through the creation of photographic portraits. Participants will then be supported in using photography as a medium to discuss their experiences of issues relating to masculinity, mental health and survival. Paul works from his own experience with anxiety and suicide. In two empowering group sessions, participants will create mood boards in response to a series of questions and conversations with the artist and the group. These mood boards will inform the approach taken to the creation of a photographic portrait by the artist in collaboration with each participant.
The conclusion will be the creation of a unique portrait taken by Paul McDonald of each participant inspired by the mood boards and self-reflections of each participant, which will be displayed for public exhibition at the Contact Sheet Gallery.
Dates of the Program:
· Saturday 14th October 2017, 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm – 1st Group Session
· Saturday 21st October 2017, 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm – 2nd Group Session
· Saturday 4th November 2017, 1:00 pm – 3:00pm – Portraits revealed (exhibition) at Contact Sheet with light refreshments available.
· Works can be viewed during gallery hours or at appointment from 8th – 11th November 2017.
Process, costs and further information:
· The Program is free and this includes all materials for the creation of the mood boards and portraits.
· This is not a technical photographic course. Portraits are created by Paul McDonald. Each participant however will create their own moodboards and as part of the collaboration process will have input into how the portrait will look.
· No cameras are required for the program.
Spaces are strictly limited and bookings are essential. Bookings can be made via our enrolment process below.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any issues with the enrolment process.
If the program is full join our waiting list by emailing email@example.com
Proudly supported by TWT Creative Precinct and Bridging Hope Charity Foundation